Re: [Duplicity-talk] new librsync release

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] new librsync release
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 09:41:32 -0600

Thanks for the correction.  I had missed that flag.

I'm looping in duplicity-team on this.  Perhaps they have something to add as well.

...Ken

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 9:29 AM, Martin Pool <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 6:46 AM, Kenneth Loafman <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

OK, duplicity just got it's first bug report about this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1416344

What this upgrade means is that a signature goes from 16 bytes to 32 bytes, and while the old sig files can be read, they can no longer be written.

You can write the old signature format by passing RS_MD4_SIG_MAGIC when starting signature generation. It might be reasonable to have a back-compatibility option in duplicity, but it shouldn't be the default.

To me, this fix implies a major version change since it will be a major format change and a doubling of the already large sig file.  I'm thinking this should be staged along with the split signature files and targeted to version 0,8 of duplicity.  There may be other concerns that I'm missing.

I agree it should be a major release.

Thoughts?

...Ken