[Duplicity-talk] permission denied

From: harry
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] permission denied
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 09:06:42 +0000

Hi,

I'm trying to use duplicity now to backup to a remote location where an
actual non-root user 'duplicity' (without the quotes) has been created.
This user has no permission to create directories at the root level.
Yet it seems duplicity wants to create the whole target's path anew at
every invocation. Of course this leads to a lot of 'permission denied's.

Something like this (anonymised and edited for readability):

$ duplicity -v8 --ssh-askpass /rw
par2+pexpect+scp://duplicity@<IP>//path/to/backup/directory/duplicity/home/user
blah
blah
blah
Running 'sftp  -oServerAliveInterval=15 -oServerAliveCountMax=2
duplicity@<IP>' State = sftp, Before = 'duplicity@<IP>'s'
State = sftp, Before = 'Connected to <IP>' sftp command: 'mkdir
"/path"'
State = sftp, Before = 'mkdir "/path"
Couldn't create directory: Failure'
sftp command: 'cd "/path"'
State = sftp, Before = 'cd "/path"'
sftp command: 'mkdir "to"'
State = sftp, Before = 'mkdir "to"
Couldn't create directory: Failure'
etc
etc

It appears to me that duplicity requires remote-root rights by trying
to create the remote path.

Is there a possibility to tell duplicity to just *check* whether the
path exists and to only create (mkdir) the parts that don't (yet)
exist?

Then the administrator can create a 'zone' for duplicity to work in
and where it can have rights to create directories, without having
to expose the root of the drive to a non-root deserving external user.

Harry