Re: [Duplicity-talk] support xz compression

From: Radim Tobolka
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] support xz compression
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2018 20:32:28 +0100

Ok, after studying code in more detail, given short options are deprecated, it doesn't make much sense implementing them for new features like xz.

Could you people advice on some more points please?

- Should the compression settings apply to local cache too? Right now, sigtars are always gzipped, even with --no-compression option.
- Why are local manifests stored uncompressed?
- What is the purpose of top_off function in gpg.GpGWriteFile and why it is not implemented in GzipWriteFile as well? Seems to me, that when performing backup over network, it is more desirable not to top off the volumes.
- Why aren't remote manifests compressed when using --no-encryption option?
- Does anybody have experience with lz4 or lzo Python packages? I think it would be useful to have one of those super fast so-so compression schemes available, but I'm reluctant to introducing additional dependency from source I don't know...

Cheers,

Radim