Re: [Duplicity-talk] Restoring from the last full backup (Re: Difficulti

From: andrew
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Restoring from the last full backup (Re: Difficulties with restore: 'Could not restore the following files. Please make sure you are able to write to them.')
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 09:58:17 +0000

Hi Ede (and everyone),

Thank-you for this advice.

At the moment, my strategy to try and recover the missing mail in the backed-up files from Thunderbird, is to step through the - in my case - weekly backups to see if I can successfully restore a non-corrupt back-up. ie. iteratation until uncorrupted back-up found. Is that - using your knowledge of the internal workings of duplicity - a sensible strategy.

My question about the full back-up was because I assume that this would not be a corrupt copy - it's a kind of check-point. There would be no incremental chains of data saved and the corruption is in the incremental chains. I suppose that might be a false assumption but maybe it's a useful one? If not then what can I assume in trying to recover files?

Thank-you for helping me understand what strategy I might follow.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Andrew Wood, Oxford

- o -