Re: [Duplicity-talk] Problem running duplicity from lauchd on Monterey

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Problem running duplicity from lauchd on Monterey
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2022 20:52:55 +0200

comments inline

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 10:28 AM Jeffrey Simon via Duplicity-talk
<duplicity-talk@nongnu.org <mailto:duplicity-talk@nongnu.org>> wrote:

    Ever since I upgraded to macOS Monterey, a launchd job that includes a call
to duplicity will no longer work.

     1. The job is a php script.

why php? can you provide it?

     2. An example of the command is as follows:

        env PASSPHRASE='************' /opt/local/bin/duplicity --gpg-binary
/opt/local/bin/gpg --file-to-restore 20220805.s4.sql.rephunter.bz2
file:///Volumes/Backup1/RH-backup/20220805
/Volumes/Backup1/RH-backup/dbtemp/20220805.s4.sql.rephunter.bz2 >>
/Users/jas/dbload.log 2>&1

this is a restore, not a backup command. am assuming your launchd run script
does backups or?

     3. The script continues to work perfectly from the command line. My
workaround is to run it from the command line.

again, pls provide the script

     4. A possible difference with Monterey is that previously gpg could have
been installed in a macOS-determined location. However with Monterey gpg was
installed by MacPorts. So it might be in a different location. Or prior to
Monterey it could have been in the same location; hard to tell now.
     5. Duplicity is throwing error output which includes the line "GPGError:
failed to determine gnupg version of None from b''

as Ken asked already. what is the output of `gpg --version` in the Terminal?

     6. Searching on that error gives a page at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/duplicity/+bug/1865427
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/duplicity/+bug/1865427>, where the suggestion is to
add --gpg-binary with the path to gpg.

possible, but generally providing proper PATH env var should do it as well.

     7. I have added --gpg-binary /opt/local/bin/gpg but it does not help: the
same error message is thrown.

sounds like the out put is wrong?

    I have posted detail on this issue to
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/443461/after-upgrade-to-monterey-a-user-created-launchd-job-does-not-run

<https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/443461/after-upgrade-to-monterey-a-user-created-launchd-job-does-not-run>

that reads a bit as if launchd is running as a different user with insufficient
access rights. possible?

sunny regards.. ede/duply.net