[Duplicity-talk] mixed storage classes on S3

From: hamish-duplicity
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] mixed storage classes on S3
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 15:30:58 +1000

I am backing up to S3, and I set --s3-use-ia to set the storage class. I am also using an S3 life cycle rule to transition the files to Glacier (flexible retrieval) after 120 days.

I think it would be useful to keep the metadata (manifest and signatures) in a different class than the data, so that I can purge my local cache of the metadata but get it back more readily if needed.

Unfortunately the S3 life cycle rules don't let you match by filename patterns, so the only way to do this is to add tags to the files (either when uploaded, or later, possibly with a lambda), or by setting the storage class differently on the files when they are uploaded. Although then the data would go straight to glacier rather than waiting 120 days.

Would anyone have any suggestions on this?

Thanks

Hamish