dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] RE: Pioneer Burners and 4x Media

From: Scott Prive
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] RE: Pioneer Burners and 4x Media
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:49:20 -0400

The announcement is very interesting; it implies 4X is possible in the drives.

When you put 48X-rated cd media in a CD recorder that does 16X, the burn occurs
at 16X. I would expect putting 4X media in a 2X burner would cause a true 2X
burner to record at.. 2X.

That said, I will not patch my drive AND I will avoid the "4X" media until
there is more discovery.

Perhaps this patch simply governs the drive to 2X to protect against heat
failure, and the 4X burns at 2X rate. If THAT is the case, we should see the
overclocker crowd publish advanced cooling techniques, to get successful 4X
without overheating   (upgrading the fan, etc).

Anyways, no evidence of 4X here... I'll let someone else risk their hardware
first. ;-)