dvdrtools-users

Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Pioneer dvr-a05

From: Robert M. Stockmann
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Pioneer dvr-a05
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:15:08 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Paul Schock wrote:

> I've been working to setup an automatic backup system using a Pioneer a
> DVD-RW drive and after going through your mail archives and attempting
> the solutions I have only gotten newer and more confusing error
> messages.
>

> Firstly: I took a look at this post:
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/dvdrtools-users/2003-01/msg00000.html
> which prompted me to install the hack because no actual solution other
> then that had been mentioned. Which made the record go fine but now I
> cant properly blank the disk.

Inside this post Alessio Sangalli tries to blank a "PRINCO DVD-RW ver. 1.1"
recordable.

Well here we have our problem. It seems Pioneer has a small database inside the
latest firmware version of its DVD burners which checks if the inserted media
has a approved vendor label.
So when testing linux dvd recording software , it might come handy to have
"approved" media available , like e.g. "Pioneer DVD RE-RECORDABLE Ver.1.1/2X
DATA/VIDEO CPRM 120min 4.7 Gb". This DVD-RW came with my Pioneer DVR-A05 when i
bought it.
All tests with _this_ recordable using linux related dvd-r(w) software were
_all_ succesfull.

> Secondly: I cant seem to get cdrecord to upgrade from 1.10 which came by
> default with my redhat 8 system and Im not sure if that's an issue.

There's RPMS on ftp://crashrecovery.org/pub/linux/cdrtools/RPMS/rh80/

for a patched version of cdrtools-2.0. I use these RPMS currently when
burning with my A05.

> Basically Im kinda drowning in a pile of conflicting errors and what I
> was hoping for is a short guide on what I need to do which is to be able
> to write to a dvd-rw and then blank it and re write to it again using a
> pioneer dvr-a05.

Robert
--
Robert M. Stockmann - RHCE