dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] udf filesystem

From: Volker Kuhlmann
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] udf filesystem
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:34:24 +1200

> I am not sure the procedure for udf image:
>
> mkisofs -udf udf.img files....
> growisofs -Z dev=0,0,0=udf.img

I found two ways to make a udf filesystem.

1) Use mkisofs with -udf. For a to me unknown reason, this discards
ownerships and permissions, and sets the numeric uid/gid to 2^32-1,
thus polluting your directory listings with big useless numbers.
Otherwise identical to mkisofs without -udf.

2) Use mkudffs. You do this anywhere you can create a filesystem in,
disk partition or file. Steps:

- create a big file:  dd bs=4k if=/dev/zero of=diskimg.udf count=<NUM>
  make sure the block size is identical to the one used with mkudffs.
- create the filesystem in the file: mkudffs diskimg.udf
  use a suitable option for --media-type
- mount the filesystem in the file with the loop device:
  mount -oloop diskimg.udf mountpoint
- copy all your files to mountpoint. This is where this method stands
  out in convenience.
- unmount, congratulations - your disk is already mastered. Burn as disk
  image.

Notes:

  The tools for udf are bad or lacking. There is no udffsck, and no
  resizeudffs. The latter is particularly bad.

  You can do this with any filesystem, ext2 is an obvious choice.
  However, ext2 doesn't optimise the data layout for minimal drive head
  movement, and reading is therefore slower.

  Regardless of method 1 or 2, due to Linux kernel bugs are strongly
  recommend to append 2MB worth of zeros at the end of the disk image
  file before burning it.   dd bs=2k count=1000 </dev/zero >>diskimgfile

  My scripts md5 and writecd offer a lot of support for CD burning and
  keeping of md5 checksums for backups. They're on my website in the
  scriptutils package.

I should write a howto...

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is possibly list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/             Please do not CC list postings to me.