edu-eu

Re: Free software and education

From: Christian Selig
Subject: Re: Free software and education
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 11:49:18 +0200

Good morning!

Concerning schoolforge, I'm a bit pessimistic about the "Open Source" attitude, but they seem to have a lot of members, some of them with a clear pro towards Free Software.

Is someone on their mailing lists? We shouldn't waste resources; perhaps some group is already working on free educational materials for GNU and other Free Software?

What about OFSET?

Susan Stewart wrote:

I just thought you all might be interested in the email I sent to Odile BĂ©nassy this morning...

Yes, I think Odile is the right person for that topic :-)

P.S. --  Random thought... if we became a group under GNU/FSF  we could
be called the GNERD project... GNu Educational Resource Development...
sounds neat to me.

Yes :-) But we should rather cooperate with i.e. Schoolforge (or some of its members) concerning the development of training materials and software, if we can do it in accordance with GNU rules (e.g. free licenses, politically correct naming conventions such as "Free Software" instead of "Open Sores").

If our project becomes an official GNU sub-project, we all have to sign FSF copyright assignments so that the FSF can defend us in case of litigation (sp?).

If there are other groups that already develop materials, we could invite them to join the GNU/FSF umbrella, thus creating the "GNERD" project :) and join the Schoolforge project.

This would be an efficient way, IMHO :)

Other opinions / ideas?

Christian

--
I am chaos.  I am the substance from which your artists and scientists
build rhythms.  I am the spirit with which your children and clowns