edu-eu

Re: [edu-eu]SPAM Status

From: Christian Selig
Subject: Re: [edu-eu]SPAM Status
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 21:19:21 +0200

Teemu wrote:

Maybe we can finally start discussing here something useful =)

Okay then :-)

I can cheerfully tell a short story.

A systems administrator of a local school recently approached me and asked me about GNU/Linux terminal servers. He invited me to set up a test server at his home and to show him around the system. I brought my Debian 3.0pre CDs and a CD with LTSP Debian packages with me. I arrived a bit late. Another sysadmin (of another school) already had installed kmLinux TSE, which is a modified SuSE with edu packages and LTSP. Pitily, it carries some proprietary software; but when they set up a termserv at their school, I will advise them to use Debian w/o non-free ;-) Anyway, it ran phantastically. You can build networks with old or extremely cheap hardware with a moderately tuned server, everything with Free Software. For an Internet Applications or an Office Work computer room, this is a perfect setup, and because it runs so well few people will complain about a missing MS Office or some stupid Windows educational app.

Sometimes, it's fun.

Bye, Christian