edu-eu

Re: [edu-eu] 10 reasons for using Free Software in education

From: Robert Pollak
Subject: Re: [edu-eu] 10 reasons for using Free Software in education
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 09:46:14 +0100

Bjoern Schiessle wrote:
[...]
> But the page[2] with the 10 reasons is in Spain. Do we have some Spanish
> speaking people on this lists? Could be interesting to see which
> arguments they highlight for Free Software in education.
>
> [1]
> http://www.osor.eu/news/es-cenatic-campaign-ten-reasons-for-using-open-source-in-education
> [2]
> http://web.cenatic.es/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=25669

Google Translate gives a good first impression:

"""
10 Reasons to Choose Open Source Software in Education

1. *Contributes to free persons*, independent, critical and autonomous.
Provides choice to the people, by encouraging critical processes and
independence in making decisions, all of our core values education system.

2. *Allowed to teach with tools adapted to the reality of students*.
Open tools can be translated into any language, incorporating aid
techniques to disability or customized to meet specific needs of each
type of student.

3. *Create a Community of Knowledge Sharing*. By sharing knowledge and
tools education between students, teachers, schools and even
different autonomous regions or countries, we facilitate the reuse of
educational strategies for success, and promoting education on the
values established community, knowledge sharing and creation team.

4. *Promotes independence of people choose the tools of the future*.
Software Open Source promotes an open technology model, without
limitations to the investigation or the use of technology, allowing all
design our own future technology.

5. *Evolves rapidly and allows the efficient solving problems*. In the
open technologies, cycles of detecting and fixing errors, and the
improvement processes are much faster when provides open access to
source code. And at the same time, changes can be incorporated in
immediately and without cost.

6. *A mature solution, with experiences of success Spanish in the
educational environment*. Experiences GNU / Linex Guadalinex in
Extremadura and in Andalusia were worldwide concerning implementation of
technologies in education. And both with Software Sources Open. Also
noteworthy are the experiences of Linkat in Catalonia, Molinux in
Castilla-La Mancha, MAX in Madrid, Valencia Lliurex, Servers in
Education Navarre, Medusa in Canary ...

7. *Saving costs in the introduction, maintenance and management of
schools education due to the type of licenses you have*. The open
licenses allow copying the solutions as many computers as needed, share
solutions between autonomous communities, cheaper upgrades and
maintenance, fostering collaboration and re ... thus achieving
significant savings because of shown on previous experience.

8. *Facilitates the students have at home the same educational tools
that use at its center, so 100% legal*. After school and study at home,
in the library or elsewhere with the same educational tools, is only
possible if are available in an open and free at any scope.

9. *Ensure safety. The SFA is the software safer.*. Difficult external
attacks and incidence viruses or Trojans.

10. *Power innovation of products and services through local
businesses*. It allows companies offer local products and services
tailored to the needs of educational communities, contributing and
technological sector development near you.

In short, the Open Source Software is a model
education in itself free, democratic, sustainable and
technologically competitive, and the ideal choice for use
technology in the classroom.
"""

Hope that helps,

Robert