eev

Re: placeholder for eev-beginner

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: Re: placeholder for eev-beginner
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 13:02:35 -0300

On Thu, 7 Jul 2022 at 21:43, Quiliro Ordóñez <quiliro@riseup.net> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am not sure if I have asked this before.  But here it goes.  Sorry if
> it was asked previously.  Anyway, I don't think that I have used this
> perspective before on this problem.
>
> Every time I start eev-beginner, I have to re-read everything again
> because I do not remember where my place is from last time.  Of course
> that every time I can understand better and review much quicker what I
> had covered before.  But I would like to have a command or a link which
> would hold the place I was at when I close (find-eev-quick-intro)
> without having to do it every time.  I remember that the Emacs tutorial
> has such functionality.  Is it possible to do it also for eev' tutorial?

Hi Quiliro,

I prefer to do these things by creating sexps. So, instead of having
blackbox-ish code that would save and restore the position in a
tutorial, I have functions - the don't feel blackbox-ish to me - that
let me create a hyperlink to a section of a tutorial with just a few
keystrokes...

There are several ways to create links like these ones, that point to
sections of tutorials...

  (find-eev-quick-intro "4.1. `find-here-links'")
  (find-refining-intro "1. Pos-spec-lists")
  (find-refining-intro "2. Refining hyperlinks")
  (find-saving-links-intro "3.3. Invisible text")

Note the their htmlizations are:

  http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-eev-quick-intro.html#4.1
  http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-refining-intro.html#1
  http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-refining-intro.html#2
  http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-saving-links-intro.html#3.3

The most basic way, obviously, is "type the whole hyperlink by hand".
A slightly less basic way is "use find-here-links - i.e., `M-h M-h' -
to create a hyperlink to the current intro, and then add the
pos-spec-list by hand (maybe using cut and paste)". The BEST way is
to use the ideas here

  (find-saving-links-intro "3.3. Invisible text")

to refine the hyperlink with fewer keystrokes. There's a video about
that here:

  (find-1stclassvideo-links "2021workshop4")

  Title: Invisible text (workshop 2021-dec-04)
  MP4:   http://angg.twu.net/eev-videos/2021-workshop-4.mp4
  YT:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhpHHjBUxv8
  Page:  http://angg.twu.net/2021-workshop.html
  Comment: Very bad - don't watch!!!