Re: [emacs-bidi] Where do I start?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Where do I start?
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 10:42:46 +0200 (IST)

On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Alex Schroeder wrote:

> I have three weeks of holidays now with nothing to do.  :)  I'd be
> interested in doing something for Emacs, something that is useful,
> introduces me to the C internals, and which affects some part of Emacs
> I care about.  And so I thought of bidi support, because I'm
> interested in Arab.

Thanks a lot for stepping forward!

> So, where do I start?  Is there some small assignment I could look
> into?  Perhaps to make some function within Emacs handle a bidi
> property?  Or perhaps this shows that I am utterly clueless and I
> should start with some documents on bidi; where would I get them.  Is
> the bidi unicode stuff a good place to start?

Yes, the Unicode Annex #9 (UAX#9, for short), is a good place to
start.  You can find the latest version on the Unicode Web site.

You could also consider reading the archives of this list, where you
should be able to pick up some Emacs-specific aspects that you won't
find in UAX#9.

While you are chewing this up, I'll try to come up with something you
could do during the few weeks you have.  Do you have any preferences
as to what part(s) of the Emacs internals you'd like to deal with?