Re: [emacs-bidi] bidi categories

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] bidi categories
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 19:11:49 +0200

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 16:47:10 +0100, Alex Schroeder <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ok, I am still a but unclear on your idea.  The above passage shows me
> where LRM will be in the logical representation, but I cannot deduce
> where you would have added it in the visual text (before applying the
> usual algorithm).
>
> What I did, then, was this: I added the LRM at the end of every
> sequence of R types before applying the algorithm.  Is this a possible
> interpretation of what you were saying?

Yes, this is one way to it, but see the notes below.

Visual text does NOT contain bidi formatting characters. When you add
the LRM and do your visual to logical they must be preserved. They
should be stripped when converting logical to visual.

I have serious doubts about the symmetry between visual-to-logical and
logical-to-visual conversion when various separators are used (without
formatting characters). If use my method of enclosing the strong R
strings with LRM characters, then it should work.

I suggest you do more tests with tricky conditions - digits and various
separators, alone and together, between L and R types.

At least minimal optimization of the defining the R strings should be
done, otherwise you'll have "^ ^" between every Hebrew words. The
minimum is to include spaces between R words. It can be extended to
include all characters that can not be resolved (in any case) into L
type.

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni     Mivtach - Simon  Insurance   /"\
 Tel: +972-3-7966-561 Fax: +972-3-7966-667   \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign