Re: [emacs-bidi] adding LRM in visual-to-logical transform

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] adding LRM in visual-to-logical transform
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 15:08:31 +0100

> The current plan calls for ignoring non-displayed characters (such as
> formatting codes) as part of the search algorithm in search.c.  Since
> you type the search string in logical order and the buffer is in
> logical order, there's no need for any bidi conversions for the
> search

This assumes that there is only logical representation for a given
string visible to the user.  You didn't mention anything like that
until now, however.  Will there be such a canonicalization?  If not,
then the user might see something in the window, and search for it
with a string that *looks* the same -- but differs in logical
representation, and thus Emacs will not find it.  Perhaps this doesn't
happen very often, then we will ignore it for the moment, but it seems
like a potential bug report to me.  :)

Alex.
--
http://www.emacswiki.org/