Re: [emacs-bidi] editing text in "visual mode"

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] editing text in "visual mode"
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 15:42:11 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Alex Schroeder wrote:
>
>> How about a visual-edit-region command which pastes the stuff into a
>> new buffer, converts logical to visual, disables bidi for display,
>> allows some editing, and when the user hits C-c C-c, the buffer is
>> transformed back to logical (with some arbitrary optimizing), and
>> replaces the original region.
>
> Yes, I thought about this.  But I'd rather prefer a different UI: how
> about a command, insert-visually, which will simply insert the character
> I type next so that it appears where the cursor was?

hm, I don't know.  Assume we're typing a formula or some other complex
thing.  Wouldn't we want to insert several characters at a time, for
example 10?  You solution -- if I understand it correctly -- work like
C-q, it only applies to the next key.  Or are you thinking of some
minor-mode-like thing?

Alex.
--
http://www.emacswiki.org/