image-file-handler

From: Miles Bader
Subject: image-file-handler
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 21:17:13 +0900 (JST)

I've just checked in my `image-file-handler', which allows emacs to
display visited image-files as real images, in lisp/image-file.el.

I have some questions about details:

1) The current entry-points are:

       image-file-handler-enabled               [customized variable]
       enable-image-file-handler                [enables handler]
       disable-image-file-handler               [disables handler]

   Are these reasonable, or should this be defined as a `global
   minor-mode' like, for instance auto-compression-mode?  If so, can
   anyone suggest a good name for it?  To me, `image-file-handler-mode'
   sounds wierd, and `image-file-mode' sounds too broad

2) Should it be enabled by default?  My assumption is that it shouldn't
   both to keep the surprise factor down (and the volume of purist grumbling),
   and by analogy with auto-compression-mode, which is also disabled by
   default.  On the other hand, it is kind of whizzy...

Thanks,

-Miles