modal proportionality, redux

From: Miles Bader
Subject: modal proportionality, redux
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:11:27 +0900 (JST)

My impression, from the responses to my earlier post, is that people
generally favor a proportional width mode-line face (with no other
changes; in particular without the increased size that shows up in my
screen snapshots).

The one caveat is that some thought the dashes in helvetica (the default
proportional face) too short, and so funny looking when used as they are
in the mode line.  I can't reproduce this; when I did `emacs -q' and then

  (set-face-attribute 'mode-line nil :inherit 'variable-pitch)

I got a helvetica mode-line, with dashes that are *wider* than those in
the default fixed width font (courier).  I guess there must be severall
different versions of helvetica out there (the one used on my system is
`-Adobe-Helvetica-Medium-R-Normal--12-120-75-75-P-67-ISO8859-1').

If anyone objects to this change, please say so now.

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche