Re: modal proportionality, redux

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: modal proportionality, redux
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 07:37:19 -0400

>>> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> seems to think that:
>Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
>> [actually, times has a very nice asterisk, but I assume we're sticking
>>  with sans-serif fonts here]
>
>> I also think lucida looks very nice (not just the asterisk; it seems to
>> have fewer extremes than helvetica, and generally suitable for this sort
>> of use).  Does it come standard with all X distributions?
>
>As far as I know, all recent X systems have lucida fonts.
>They are included even in Open Windows of SunOS 4.1.2.
>
>I still prefer asterisks of such fixed-width fonts as 6x13,
>7x13, and those included in intlfonts.  They display
>asterisks at the middle or near the middle of lines, which
>very well harmonize with `-' and `%' at `mode-line-modified'
>part of the modeline..
>
>So, ideally, it seems good to me to use lucida for the face
>`mode-line', but use the default font only for
>`mode-line-modified'.
  [ ... ]

If the greatest complaint about using other fonts is *, %, and -, why
not create some B&W images that mean what those characters represent,
like a little lock, pencil, and a real line of arbitrary length with
strike-through.  Then any font that looks like for characters will
look nice.  This would be consistent with those other modern editors
I'm forced to use at work.

I think the little gnu which appears for GNUS is quite spiffy.
Perhaps there are some more GNOME images that can be used?

Eric