Re: Info faces

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Info faces
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:08:10 +0200

> From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 21:25:10 +0900 (JST)
>
> I made my own list of colors that match the set of colors displayed by
> gnome-terminal.

Could you please see if the list I mention below fits the GNOME
terminal as well?

> If there is a `standard set' of RGB values for 16-color ttys then I
> guess we have to use that.  [Can you send it to me?]

It's in lisp/term/pc-win.el.  I created that list by looking at X
colors and text-mode colors on the same display (using an X client for
MS-Windows).  These colors should be good for consoles which use PC
displays, but I don't know how well do they work on xterm.  I also
don't know how to determine whether 8 or 16 colors are supported.  For
these two reasons, this list is used only in the MS-DOS and W32 ports,
for now.  But if it turns out to be good on Unix tty's, we could make
it more widely used.

> However the colors displayed by various terminal emulators under X vary
> wildly -- there seems to be an intent to display the same set of colors,
> but the actual colors are often *really* different (mostly because of
> great differences in brightness).

That's true.  However, since as I understand, the main rationale for
colors on tty's was the GNU/Linux console, we might as well make the
colors suitable for that case.