Re: The speed of Emacs 21

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: The speed of Emacs 21
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:03:27 +0900 (JST)

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:
> Sometime in the last two weeks, it appears that e21's Lisp interpretor
> (or something) has slowed down dramatically.  Here are some places
> where it's really noticeable:
> Anybody have any ideas on how I can begin to track this down?  Anyone
> remember recent changes that would lead to this kind of slow-down?

Gerd recently turned on some string debugging code in alloc.c (see
GC_CHECK_STRING_BYTES).  When that happened I noticed an obvious
slowdown (actually it checks things every 50 calls to `allocate_string';
initially it did so every *10* calls, and that was truly insane...).

The effect on speed is obviously related to string usage; for instance,
I've noticed that reading in ja-dic/ja-dic.elc seems particularly slow.

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche