Re: messages while the minibuffer is active

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: messages while the minibuffer is active
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 22:03:38 +0900 (JST)

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> > No; I *want to see the messages*.  I just don't want to see them on top
> > of what I'm doing.
> How do you want to pull that trick, then?
> The overlaying that you dislike has been there in Emacs for as long as I
> remember.  Emacs always used the echo area for both echo and minibuffer.

Um, that was what I described in my original message -- use the
mechanism already provided by `temp_echo_area_glyphs'.

E.g., instead of overwriting my minibuffer with "Loading foobar...done",
it would put " [Loading foobar...done]" after the end of my input (as is
done with, for instance, " [no more completions]", etc.).

> > For instance, byte-compiling a file results in a ton of messages, about
> > half of which take one line and half two, the result being crazy
> > mode-line dancing like I described.
> Was that only a year ago, or does this description pertains to today's
> behavior as well?

No, that was the old behavior.  In today's emacs, it grows as necessary
to accomodate longer messages, but doesn't shrink until the compilation
is done.