Re: Emacs can't be built on HPUX 10.

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Emacs can't be built on HPUX 10.
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:52:27 +0900 (JST)

Dave Love <address@hidden> writes:
KH>  (1) HP-UX 10.20 now has X11R6.  As this change is harmless,
KH>  I've already installed it.

KH>  * s/hpux10.h (C_SWITCH_X_SYSTEM): Include -I/usr/include/X11R6 and
KH>  -I/usr/contrib/X11R6/include.
KH>  (LD_SWITCH_X_DEFAULT): Include -L/usr/lib/X11R6.

>>>  It looks like an autoconf or configure.in problem if we don't get that
>>>  right.  It's possible we should be using AC_PATH_XTRA rather than
>>>  AC_PATH_X -- I don't recall the operational difference.

> I've just checked what goes on.  I think the /usr/{include,lib}/X11R?
> bits should be removed since configure should detect the X11R6
> directories on its own.

Right.  I've just confirmed that we can build Emacs without
including /usr/{include,lib}/X11R? in C_SWITCH_X_SYSTEM and
LD_SWITCH_X_DEFAULT in hpux10.h.

KH>  It seems that HPUX 10.20 supplies two sets of X (X11R5 and X11R6).  In
KH>  addition, for Xaw and Xmu, it has these files.
KH>  /usr/contrib/X11R6/lib/Xaw.a, /usr/contrib/X11R6/lib/Xmu.a,
KH>  /usr/lib/X11R6/llib-lXaw.ln, /usr/lib/X11R4/libXaw.sl,
KH>  /usr/lib/X11R6/llib-lXmu.ln, /usr/lib/X11R4/libXmu.sl,
KH>  (I have no idea about HPUX's file name convertion).

> Then it looks as though the Xaw and Xmu should be found OK (as R6 in
> preference to R5).  Could you check whether it looks as though the
> /usr/contrib directories are necessary?  I guess they can be removed
> too.

No, it seems that we surely have to include
/usr/contrib/... to use Athena or Lucid toolkit.  In
addition, we ahve to configure emacs explicitely by
--with-x-toolkit=athena because the configure script can't
find it automatically.

> Then the question is where to find Motif, if that's
> anywhere special.

To use Motif, we don't need C_SWITCH_X_SYSTEM nor
LD_SWITCH_X_DEFAULT because we have these links:
/usr/include/Xm   -> /usr/include/Motif1.2/Xm
/usr/lib/libXm.sl -> /usr/lib/libXm.2
/usr/lib/libXm.2  -> /usr/lib/Motif1.2_R6/libXm.2

Considering these, it seems that HPUX regard Motif as the
default X toolkit to use.  Then, it would be better
that configure.in
(1) tries Motif if it fails to find Xaw (and Xmu).
or
(2) tries Motif at first for HPUX.

KH>  By the way, I found another problem in hpux9.h and
KH>  configure.  It has this code:

KH>  #ifndef HAVE_LIBXMU
KH>  /* HP-UX doesn't supply Xmu.  */
KH>  #define LIBXMU
KH>  #endif

KH>  But, (1) configure doesn't define HAVE_LIBXMU, (2) HPUX10.20 surely
KH>  supplies Xmu.

> I can make a test for that easily.

We already have this code in configure.in.  But, I don't
understand the intention.  Because of "LIBS="$OLDLIBS" at
the end, it seems that this changes nothing.

dnl If using toolkit, check whether libXmu.a exists.
dnl address@hidden says libXmu.a can need XtMalloc in libXt.a to link.
  OLDLIBS="$LIBS"
  if test x$HAVE_X11XTR6 = xyes; then
    LIBS="-lXt -lSM -lICE $LIBS"
  else
    LIBS="-lXt $LIBS"
  fi
  AC_CHECK_LIB(Xmu, XmuConvertStandardSelection)
  LIBS="$OLDLIBS"
fi

---
Ken'ichi HANDA