Re: timing Emacs 21 (was: comments on ntemacs 21.0.91)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: timing Emacs 21 (was: comments on ntemacs 21.0.91)
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 20:34:45 +0200

> Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 11:17:16 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden>
>
> Sometimes Emacs 20.7 is faster than the current Emacs 21
> and sometimes it is slower.
>
>     forward-char            Emacs 21 faster
>     forward-line            Emacs 21 faster
>
>     forward-word            Emacs 20 faster
>     forward-sentence        Emacs 20 considerably faster
>     forward-paragraph       Emacs 20 considerably faster

These commands don't have too much to do with redisplay.  Unless point
moves outside the currently displayed screen, the only aspect of
forward-* commands related to redisplay is the cursor motion, I think.

Gerd, am I right?

>     (time-action 500000 (quote forward-char))
>     Emacs 20.7: total time 2.05455 seconds
>     Emacs 21:   total time 1.95983 seconds

If you call forward-char like that, I think the only redisplay is the
last one, after you move 500,000 characters forward.  So I think
redisplay is not an issue in these tests.