Re: Very initial Emacs 21 observations

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: Very initial Emacs 21 observations
Date: 20 Dec 2000 01:06:11 -0800

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Bill Wohler <address@hidden> writes:
> >   How can one concentrate on one's writing with that blinking block
> >   cursor? Please make the default non-blinking. The cursor is big
> >   enough to be easily seen without the annoying blinking.
>
> This is very much a matter of opinion.  In past arguments over whether
> the default should be on or off, no real consensus was reached (at least
> in those arguments I saw).

  Yup, it is a matter of opinion; I can't believe there wasn't a
  consensus. Have you *ever* read an HTML style guide that said that
  the <blink> tag is good? Most of them say that the <blink> tags are
  evil because they keep the user from being able to concentrate on
  the real content. The blinking block cursor is no different.

> I wonder, are you perhaps using the monochrome icons?  Those are much
> worse than the colors ones (since they were produced automatically).

  I'm using whatever came out of the box. They are monochrome. How do
  I turn on the color ones?

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/
Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ. Vote Libertarian!