Re: ill-advised changes [was key bindings in hideshow.el]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: ill-advised changes [was key bindings in hideshow.el]
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 10:05:43 -0700 (MST)

    I think choosing those Meta keys because they are unbound for minor
    modes is unwise because the existing C- versions are extensible within
    the context of the originating key.

In theory, that is right, but in these particular cases, it doesn't
apply.  The global definition of C-o does not have any natural
Meta-equivalent, and that's why we don't have a global definition of

    I grepped around, and it seems to me that folding modes are special in

    a) There are several of them
    b) Keybindings should be easy to type to aid navigation.

You may be getting at a good idea here.  But I think that "folding
modes" may be too narrow a category.  Can you find a somewhat more
general description which still distinguishes them from the other