Re: lexical mumblings

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: lexical mumblings
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 10:35:51 -0600 (MDT)

    > We want to make Emacs support Scheme, and one byproduct of that will
    > be the availability of lexical scoping.

    _That_ is a major, incompatible change, that will arguably never happen
    because it will cause so much upheaval.

We must be having a miscommunication.  The change I envision is
100% upward-compatible: as of a certain day, you can run Scheme programs
in Emacs as well as Emacs Lisp programs.  There will be no change
in the Emacs Lisp language.

It will be a struggle for me to find the time to maintain Emacs.  So I
will have to reject changes that might eat up more of my time.  My
experience tells me that this is the sort of thing that is very likely
to lead to secondary problems; even if you think you can show it
won't, it probably will anyway, because people tend to overlook
something in such proofs.  I won't have time to cope with that.

I will have to be cautious in what changes I install.