Re: Build Emacs from CVS

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Build Emacs from CVS
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:51:00 +0000 (UTC)

Regarding cus-load.el and loaddefs.el, Kenichi Handa wrote:

   > They are re-build by "make bootstrap", thus get different
   > from what stored in the repository.  If we do "cvs update"
   > next time, there's a possiblity of conflict (although
   > usually cvs merges the difference successfully).

In the past, I consistently ran into conflicts.  So now I always
remove them before updating.  I evaluate this expression:

    (progn
     (cd "/usr/local/src/emacs/")
     (shell-command "rm /usr/local/src/emacs/lisp/cus-load.el" nil nil)
     (shell-command "rm /usr/local/src/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el" nil nil)
     (cvs-update "/usr/local/src/emacs/" nil))

I don't know whether removing the files from the source CVS will make
more trouble than leaving them.  If they are left in, then it would
help to mention the possibility of removing them before updating.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com