Re: euro symbol

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: euro symbol
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 11:06:15 +0200

> From: Francesco Potorti` <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 01:28:42 +0200
>
> I made a change to latin-post.el and latin.alt.el for entering the euro
> symbol in the italian input styles.

I wish you discussed here non-trivial changes such as this one before
committing them.  I've just tried one input method you've changed
(italian-postfix), and the change does the wrong thing: typing "E="
inserts the latin-1 currency character, not the Euro (which doesn't
exist in Latin-1).

> However, this is a hack.

Indeed.  And we don't want hacks in Emacs, do we?

In sum, I'd suggest to back up those changes in latin-post.el and
latin-alt.el.

> In fact, I (while working on a linux console)
> use a latin-15 font, which has the euro symbol in place of the latin-1
> international currency symbol.

So you simply lie to Emacs about the font: you tell it it's a Latin-1
font, whereas in reality it's a Latin-9 (a.k.a. 8859-15) font.  That's
hardly something to base changes on, I'm afraid.

> I do so because Emacs does not have latin-15 input styles.

It certainly does: there's the latin-9-prefix input method (you get
the Euro if you type "~e").  Maybe we need more Latin-9 support; if
so, let's add more input methods, but let's do it right.

>        (aset standard-display-table 146 (vector ?'))
>        (aset standard-display-table 147 (vector ?"))
>        (aset standard-display-table 148 (vector ?")))

The entry for code 146 is redundant, I think (see mule-cmds.el).  The
rest were discussed during Emacs 21 development, and IIRC the decision
was not to do that as the default.  I don't remember why, though; does
anyone?

In any case, when (or shall I say ``if'') we move to Unicode, we
should be able to support those Windows codepages directly.