Re: Changes in the menu bar

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: Changes in the menu bar
Date: 25 Nov 2001 19:37:06 -0500

> * In message <address@hidden>
> * On the subject of "Re: Changes in the menu bar"
> * Sent on Sun, 25 Nov 2001 20:38:38 +0200
> * Honorable "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> writes:
> > From: Sam Steingold <address@hidden>
> > Date: 25 Nov 2001 12:52:37 -0500
> >
> > IMO, "apropos" and "describe" are _very_ different paradigms, and
> > mixing them is wrong.  I thought they were put together accidentally.
> > All I did was separate the "apropos" items from the "describe" items.
> You also added a couple of items that were not there.

you are quite observant :-)

>   - Is it possible to find a more self-explanatory name than
>     "Apropos", for the top-level menu item leading to this submenu?

"find feature"?

>     I'm afraid "Apropos" won't ring a bell with many newbies, and we
>     want them to use these features a lot.

I don't think of "Apropos" as a "newbie" feature.
(as opposed to "Describe")

>   - The item "Apropos symbol" should IMHO be renamed to something
>     more clear.  ``Symbol'' is not something new users would grasp.

"symbol" is only one (out of 5) options, and by the time the user will
get there, he will likely know the ropes.

Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
Trespassers will be shot.  Survivors will be SHOT AGAIN!