Re: transient-mark-mode: change default

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: transient-mark-mode: change default
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 04:50:55 -0500

> On 28 Nov 2001, Miles Bader wrote:
> > I think some people just don't like parts of the screen being highlighted
> > (perhaps they tend to use the mark more as a `mark' then as one end of
> > the region).
>
> That's my case.  I particularly hate it when a simple "C-x C-x"
> highlights the text and distracts my attention.  I then need to C-g to
> get rid of it.

I can see how it could drive you crazy.  How about if C-x C-x does
not set mark-active (and C-u C-x C-x activates the mark) ?

Basically, I think that even people who dislike transient-mark-mode
might appreciate the ability to explicitly pass a region as
an argument (so that M-; behaves differently, as well as a slew
of other commands).

So if making transient-mark-mode the default is out of the question,
maybe we can at least provide a way to distinguish between an active
and an inactive mark.

By the way, why is mark-active always set when transient-mark-mode is nil ?
It seems that all the code that uses mark-active (at least the C code)
only looks at it if transient-mark-mode is non-nil, so why don't
we deactivate the mark regardless of transient-mark-mode ?

        Stefan