Re: transient-mark-mode: change default

From: Reto Zimmermann
Subject: Re: transient-mark-mode: change default
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:50:46 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> My experience is the opposite: users who want this feature always find
> it.  We put it on the Options menu-bar menu, to make it easier.

Sometimes I'm surprised how little users explore the features and do not
do any customization.  The more important are reasonable defaults;
reasonable for the novice user and not the power user.  In Emacs 21
there have been made attempts to make the GUI more compliant with other
editors; tmm turned on by default would go in the same direction.  But
with the entry in the Options menu it can at least be found more easily.

> You mean, it comments-out the region if transient-mark-mode is turned
> on, right?  Because otherwise comment-dwim works for me even without
> transient-mark-mode.

It would be cool to have a global function that does commenting or
uncommenting, depending on whether code is already commented out or not
(part of comment-dwim's functionality).  So far I had my own routine for
that which I also included in vhdl-mode.  I wanted to get rid of it but
can't since comment-dwim only works with tmm turned on.

> I couldn't disagree more.  I think we will alienate gobs of veteran
> Emacs users.

That's probably right.