Re: Mule issues and disp-table.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Mule issues and disp-table.el
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 13:57:41 -0500

> I'm worried about the possible effects of the recent changes to
> standard-display-european.  Could you please tell what were the reasons
> for those changes?

There are two changes:
1 - elimination of conditionals on (interactive-p).  Since the function
    is not interactive any more, this always returns nil anyway.
    Should be about as safe as it gets.
2 - Calling (set-buffer-multibyte nil) on existing buffers means that
    those buffers who had latin-1 chars in them now have \201,
    which is clearly wrong.  This was discussed a while back when someone
    complained about it (he had (desktop-load) before
    (standard-display-european) in his .emacs so all his desktop-loaded
    files had \201 in them) and the conclusion was that it wasn't worth
    it to try and be clever.  I think the change for accepted for 21.1
    but I forgot to install it.

        Stefan