Re: loading message.el for two small functions

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: loading message.el for two small functions
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 10:45:23 +0100

>       * mail/smtpmail.el: Use with-current-buffer.
>       (message-make-date, message-make-message-id): Autoload when needed.
>
> message.el is almost 5000 lines.  It is very inefficient to load that
> file just to get these two small functions.  Would you please copy and
> rename the functions instead?

`messsage.el' already loads a large number of "generic" mail utility
packages.  I suspect it would be most clean to move message-make-date
and message-make-message-id to one of these, rename them, and make
message.el use the new names.

I might be difficult to synchronize such a change with the version of
message in the stand alone Gnus distribution.