Re: Merging x*, w32* and mac* sources (was Re: table.el)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Merging x*, w32* and mac* sources (was Re: table.el)
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 13:49:24 +0200 (IST)

On 5 Dec 2001, Kim F. Storm wrote:

> I don't see why we can't keep the x*, w32*, and mac* files for the things
> which are really different on those platforms (like the event dispatch loops,
> specific display code, etc) and put the (almost) common code into com* files.

This has come up before, and the conclusion was that all we need is a
motivated individual who would step forward and do the job.  Volunteers
are welcome, as always.

> The com* files would contain some conditionals, but if we restructure the
> output_data union, a lot of the existing differences will go away!

It's possible to make this even simpler: keep the x*.c files, and make
w32*.c and mac*.c serve as emulations of the X* functions called from
x*.c.  The person who does the actual work will have to decide which way
is better; the advantages and disadvantages of each one of them are
obvious, I think, but the actual balance needs careful evaluation.