Re: i18n/gettext?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: i18n/gettext?
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 00:16:00 -0700 (MST)

    Strings in the standard distribution wouldn't need any indication; they
    would just be in the Emacs catalog.

This is one possible approach: use a single catalog for all of Emacs.
Another proposal was to use a catalog for each Lisp file.  We need to
consider both and compare them.

    > Maybe we should have a rule that strings with non-ASCII characters
    > are never translated automatically--if you want to translate them,
    > you have to do it explicitly.

    I don't quite follow what you mean by "translated automatically" here.

I mean that they won't be translated unless you do something explicit
to request it.

    My understanding is that, when Emacs itself is running, strings are
    never translated "automatically";

Currently no strings are translated, period.  But we looking at the
idea of translating them automatically when they are used in certain
ways.