Re: MULE: incorrect utf-8 recoding

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: MULE: incorrect utf-8 recoding
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:16:41 -0500

> > unify-8859-on-encoding-mode should probably be turned on by default
> > since it should be completely safe.
>
> Perhaps it's completely safe for European users, but not necessarily
> for everyone else.

I think it's just completely safe no matter what.
unify-8859-on-decoding-mode has some side effects that could be
annoying but unify-8859-on-encoding-mode doesn't AFAIK.

> We should also consider what, if anything, would that do to the
> popular customizations people do in their .emacs files.

Nothing, I believe.

> In general, bitter experience has taught me that Mule-related changes
> in the default setup should not be done without careful consideration.

Of course.

> I'd suggest that someone posts here a description of the effects of
> turning on unify-8859-on-encoding-mode, and we then could discuss the
> merits and demerits of making it be the default.

I believe the only effect is that it allows conversion between
the various latin-N and unicode charsets to happen when saving a file.
I.e. it allows to open a latin-9 file and to save it as latin-1
(as long as the file did not use the euro char or some other
latin-9-specific char, of course).

But looking at the code I see that it changes
standard-translation-table-for-decode.  Dave is that a typo or
am I misunderstanding something ?

        Stefan