Re: Merging leim

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Merging leim
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:40:54 -0800 (PST)

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 16:17:16 +0100 (CET)
>
> > Just a thought: perhaps it's a good idea to remove the *.elc files
> > from the distribution, and change the build procedure to generate
> > them.  After all, we already do that for Leim.
>
> I second this.  It is just about 5 to 10 minutes slower on a
> `standard' PC of today to run `make bootstrap' instead of `make'.

I also second this.  The first thing I do when I get an Emacs
distribution is remove all its .elc files.  This has helped me avoid
some build bugs (as the distributed .elc files are sometimes wrong),
and has made regression analysis easier (as the .elc files are always
built the same way).

I've been doing this for about 10 years and have never regretted it.