Re: File name completion with non-ascii filenames

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: File name completion with non-ascii filenames
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 12:33:04 -0500

    However, since working with multibyte strings means we need to decode
    each file name returned by readdir, to address Richard's concerns, I'd
    like to try to avoid decoding even if completion-ignore-case is non-nil.

I pointed out there's a possibility that decoding will be slow--but we
don't know how slow it will be.  Perhaps it won't be slow enough to
matter.

I suggest trying it first, and seeing how much of a slowdown it causes
for a large directory.  Then you can tell which optimizations are
worth spending time on and which are not.