Re: Proposal: Remap interactive commands via keymaps

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Proposal: Remap interactive commands via keymaps
Date: 05 Jan 2002 02:39:49 +0100

>     >     (define-key x-mode-map [self-insert-command] 'x-self-insert-command)
>

> I think this is a great idea.

Thanks!

If this is implemented, I would propose to add a new variable named,
say, `remap-interactive-commands-p' (default t) to [temporarily]
disable this feature.  The purpose of this variable is two-fold:

1) make it possible to disable the feature for some specific purpose
   (which I cannot imagine, but just in case something will need it)

2) so a package can test it using (boundp '...) to determine whether
   this feature is available - or if it has to use
   substitute-key-definition or some other method for backwards
   compatibility  (for emacs 20.x or 21.1).

Of these, I think 2) is the most important to allow packages to
gradually adapt to the new feature!