dired-do-shell-command: allow changing time bomb * to @

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: dired-do-shell-command: allow changing time bomb * to @
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 00:14:34 -0700 (MST)

That message suggests an idea to me.  We could solve several problems
by changing the character that dired-do-shell-command uses to mean
"all files at once" from * to something else like @.

This way, people could use *.  And we could say that @ only has
that meaning when it is surrounded by whitespace.  That way, if you
want to quote @, you just have to write "@" which would quote
it for the shell anyway.

What do people think of this?  It is an incompatible change,
but the benefit may be worth the incompatibility.