Re: File name completion with non-ascii filenames

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: File name completion with non-ascii filenames
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:50:02 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Richard Stallman wrote:

>       - A user might have enabled an input method that produces
>       mule-unicode-* characters, but her file-name-coding-system is
>       something like latin-2, which produces latin-iso8859-2 characters
>       in decoded file names.
>
> Why would a user use this combination of input method and
> file-name-coding-system?  Isn't it an anomaly already?

Perhaps it is, but it's a subtle anomaly: if I press C-\ while typing at
"C-x C-f"s prompt, I might not be aware that the input method I turned on
produces mule-unicode-* characters, and the glyphs displayed by Emacs
might not tell me that, since the same characters are supported by
Latin-2 and Unicode fonts.  The default input method turned on by C-\
might be related to a document I was typing when I pressed "C-x C-f"; it
is quite possible to be in a Latin-2 locale where file names are encoded
in Latin-2, but work on a Unicode text.