Re: "About Emacs" menu item?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: "About Emacs" menu item?
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 07:11:54 -0700 (MST)

    But after (setq display-hourglass nil) and one second (the value of
    hourglass-delay) the hourglass pointer is displayed.

I can't reproduce that.  What is the exact recipe?

                                                         But the docu says it
    should be displayed only when display-hourglass is non-nil. Is this a bug?

It would seem to be a bug.  Could you investigate it?  Is
start_hourglass called, and if so, why?  Also, the failure to handle
mouse commands as specified seems like a bug.  Could you investigate
that by seeing what happens when the main loop inside Frecursive_edit
calls read_key_sequence and you click?  First of all, see what
read_key_sequence returns; second, does it try to use the right maps?

I am not sure it is right for the "about Emacs" menu item to do the
splash screen changes in key bindings, cursor, mode line, etc.
Perhaps it should display the same buffer contents but display them as
an ordinary Fundamental mode buffer.  When the user wants to switch
away, C-x b will do it.  What do people think?