Re: Another update of GNU TLS bindings

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Another update of GNU TLS bindings
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 09:36:57 +0200 (IST)

> From: Simon Josefsson <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 22:07:49 +0100
>
> +** Emacs can now be compiled with the GNU TLS library, to provide
> +builtin support for TLS network connections.  The location of the the
> +GNU TLS library can be specified with the `--with-libgnutls-prefix'
> +configure option.

Do I understand correctly that if TLS is detected by the configure
script, Emacs will automatically be compiled with TLS support?  That
probably should be spelled out explicitly.

Also, the INSTALL file should probably tell where can one find GNU
TLS, if it isn't already installed.

> +(defconst gnutls-e-interrupted -52)
> +(defconst gnutls-e-again -28)

Are these constants system-independent?

> address@hidden gnutls-init proc
> +Initializes process PROC for use as a TLS client.

You should use "@var{proc}" (note: lower-case "proc") instead of
"PROC" in the text that follows a @defun.  That's because all the
arguments in a @defun have the implicit @var markup.  (The Info file
produced from that will have PROC in upper-case everywhere.)  Similar
for every argument you put in @defun and later refer to in the text.

> +For casual uses, the Lisp libraries @code{ssl} and @code{starttls}
> +provides functionality for opening TLS streams (@code{open-ssl-stream}
> +and @code{starttls-open-stream}) and negotiating TLS on already opened
> +network streams (@code{starttls-negotiate}).  @code{open-ssl-stream}
> +is a self-contained function that does everything necessary in order
> +to get a TLS protected network connection.
> address@hidden and @code{starttls-negotiate} open network
> +connections in two steps, the first function merely open a network
> +connection, allowing you to invoke commands (sent unprotected) to
> +initiates the TLS negotition at the other end, and the second function
> +initiates the TLS negotiation locally.

If the functions you mention here are important enough to be in the
manual, they should be indexed (with @findex).