Re: Changing mode-line-inactive

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Changing mode-line-inactive
Date: 11 Feb 2002 10:33:18 +0100

Karl Eichwalder <address@hidden> writes:

> > Is this not generally true now?
>
> The inactive mode line doesn't see the change; calling something like
> switch-to-buffer will propagate it.  Maybe, it is not necessary to care
> about it as long as there's a recipe how to disable this new feature.

Customizing faces to get rid of this might seem too radical, so
maybe there should be a lisp variable to control this behaviour?

The customization could have three choices:
  nil - use mode-line face for all mode lines
  t   - use mode-line-inactive for inactive windows
        use mode-line face for active window and window
        that was selected when using the mini-buffer
  other - use mode-line-inactive even for the window that
          was selected when minibuffer is active.

(the last option corresponds to the current behaviour and is my
personal preference!)

> At the moment I'm inclined to believe I should drop the 3D look to gain
> one more pixel.

When the :box width is specified as -1, you wont gain an extra pixel
by removing the 3d look.