Re: Changing mode-line-inactive

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Changing mode-line-inactive
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:24:39 -0700 (MST)

I think this change should arrange to update display immediately
whenever face attributes are changed.  Does it work?

*** xfaces.c.~1.249.~   Sat Feb  9 04:06:22 2002
--- xfaces.c    Tue Feb 12 06:54:47 2002
***************
*** 3687,3692 ****
--- 3687,3700 ----
    else
      lface = global_lface;

+   /* Changing a named face means that all realized faces depending on
+      that face are invalid.  Since we cannot tell which realized faces
+      depend on the face, make sure they are all removed.  This is done
+      by incrementing face_change_count.  The next call to
+      init_iterator will then free realized faces.  */
+   ++face_change_count;
+   ++windows_or_buffers_changed;
+
    xassert (LFACEP (lface));
    check_lface (lface);
    return lface;
***************
*** 3754,3759 ****
--- 3762,3775 ----
    bcopy (XVECTOR (lface)->contents, XVECTOR (copy)->contents,
         LFACE_VECTOR_SIZE * sizeof (Lisp_Object));

+   /* Changing a named face means that all realized faces depending on
+      that face are invalid.  Since we cannot tell which realized faces
+      depend on the face, make sure they are all removed.  This is done
+      by incrementing face_change_count.  The next call to
+      init_iterator will then free realized faces.  */
+   ++face_change_count;
+   ++windows_or_buffers_changed;
+
    return to;
  }

***************
*** 4263,4268 ****
--- 4279,4292 ----
       face-set-after-frame-defaults.  */
    if (NILP (f->face_alist))
      return;
+
+   /* Changing a named face means that all realized faces depending on
+      that face are invalid.  Since we cannot tell which realized faces
+      depend on the face, make sure they are all removed.  This is done
+      by incrementing face_change_count.  The next call to
+      init_iterator will then free realized faces.  */
+   ++face_change_count;
+   ++windows_or_buffers_changed;

    if (EQ (param, Qforeground_color))
      {