Re: ChangeLog and unification

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: ChangeLog and unification
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:04:54 -0500

> > The unify-on-encode is safe and does not do unification.
> What will it do if you yank a string with Latin-2 characters and then
> save the buffer?  Assuming that buffer-file-coding-system is
> iso-2022-7bit, will it save those Latin-2 characters as Latin-2 or as
> Latin-1?

Latin-2 AFAIK, but I'll let you double check.

> > Actually, I can't even think of any reason
> > why we should try to make it possible to turn it off.
> That is almost certainly a bad idea: it should be possible to turn off
> _any_ feature, certainly a Mule-related one.  Someone, some day, will
> want that.

Based on my understanding of the code, the only effect of unify-on-encode
is to increase the number of coding-systems that can be used for a given
buffer.  If you don't use one of the added coding-systems, the output
should be exactly the same as before.

Thus if you don't want the feature, you can use C-x RET f to specify
another coding-system.

        Stefan