Re: many packages write to `temporary-file-directory' insecurely

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: many packages write to `temporary-file-directory' insecurely
Date: 18 Mar 2002 17:36:23 -0500

On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 15:06, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     My gut feeling is that it really would be best to go with
>     ~/.emacs.d/games or so.
>
> That means users do not see each others' scores.
> I think this is a mistake.

I was talking with some Debian hackers on IRC about this problem, and
one of them suggested a setgid helper program, sort of like movemail.
This seems to me to be the best solution.  We could give it arguments
like:

/usr/lib/emacs/21.3/update-score --file=/var/games/emacs/snake-scores
 --add-score "Jane Hacker <address@hidden>   12345 points"

And we should probably impose a limit of, say, 50 scores, and 200
characters in a score line.

One problem with this is I have no idea what should be done on Windows;
I guess we can not care about that for now though.

Any thoughts/objections regarding this solution?