Re: emacs 21.2

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs 21.2
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 20:47:14 +0200

> From: "Marshall, Simon" <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 17:34:13 -0000
>
> After all, if my effort will not make a difference to any user
> (including me) until 21.3 or later, I'm thinking why bother putting
> that effort in for 21.2?

I can think about two reasons:

First, it's possible that the fix _will_ be in the next release.  It
depends on the problem you find and the change needed to fix it.

Second, even if the fix will not be in the next release, reporting the
problem immediately would allow enough time to find a good fix for it,
and to test that fix before the pretest of the next version even
starts (there are quite a few people who use the CVS head version as a
matter of routine).

By contrast, if you postpone a problem whose fix is not a trivial one
until the next pretest, there are chances it won't get into that
pretest as well.